Many are unaware of poisoning caused by re-using plastic bottles.
Some of you may be in the habit of using and re-using your disposable mineral water bottles (e.g. Nestle, Bisleri, Aquafina, Kinky, Evian, etc…), keeping them in your car or at work. Not a good idea.
In a nutshell, the plastic (called polyethylene terephthalate or PET) used in these bottles contains a potentially carcinogenic element (something called diethylhydroxylamine or DEHA). The bottles are safe for just the one time use; if you keep them long period, it shouldn’t be more than few days, and keep them away from heat. Frequent washing and rinse can cause the plastic to break down and the carcinogens (cancer-causing chemical agents) can leak into the water that you are drinking. Better to invest in water bottles that are really meant for multiple uses.
This is not something we should be scrimping on. Those of you with family – do please advise them, particularly children.
How to avoid:
- Check on the bottom of the bottle
- There is a triangle sign and there will be a number on it.
- If the number is higher than or equals to 5 — Then, this bottle is safe to use.
- Whatever number under 5 will release the chemical.
- For most bottle water, the number is 1.
- Did you ever drink from a plastic bottle and see a triangle symbol on the bottom with a number inside?
- Did you guess that it’s just for recycling? Then you are wrong
The numbers tells you the Chemical make up of the Plastic:
1. Polyethylene terephalate (PET)
2. High density Polyethylene (HOPE)
3. Unplasticised polyvinyl chloride (UPVC)
4. Low density Polyethylene LDPE
5. Polypropylene (PP)
6. Polystyrene (PS) or expandable polystyrene (EPS)
7. Polycarbonate (PC)
What you aren’t told is that many of the plastics used are toxic and the chemicals used to create a plastic can leach out of the plastic and into the drink.
DO NOT USE 1, 3 NUMBERS if triangle symbol have these at the bottom of the bottle!!!!
AVOID re-using plastic bottles RIGHT AWAY I?! Always insist on using Polycarbonate bottles for your daily needs.
Please forward this information for your caring ones.
Do not re-use mineral water bottles!
Prevention is better than cure